One of the most common problems with squatting form is leaning forward too much when coming out of the bottom position.
This error is also associated with buckling of the knees inwards.
Leaning forward places massive stress on the lower back. Furthermore, it takes the tension off the quads, which is the primary muscle group that you want to target with this lift.
Here are six tips to help fix this problem:
1. Lift your chest up. If you’re one of our members you won’t be able to count on two hands the amount of times we coaches have to say this every session. Some people have a hard time with the technique of keeping the back arched. Instead, focus on simply lifting the chest up.
2. Bring your elbows in under the bar and keep them there throughout the entire lift. Try to push them forward slightly as you come up from the bottom of the squat. Allowing your elbows to drift backwards makes it extremely hard to keep your chest up.
3. Look straight ahead or slightly up as you squat DO NOT look directly upward at the ceiling. Maintaining eye contact on a single point will help position your head properly as well as keep your balance.
4. Keep your weight on the middle of your feet as you squat (lifting your toes for a second before you squat will help shift the weight back more into your heels). Having your bodyweight on the balls of your feet may make you to lean forward.
5. Drive hard both outwards and upwards with the legs as you come out of the bottom, and try squeezing your glutes at the top of the rep.
6. As you come out of the squat, think about driving your knees out – the goal here is to have your knees in line with your big toes. A good cue is to try to spread the floor apart with your feet. Once again one our most common sayings at The Pit.
Take away. Not only will these tips help reduce your risk of injury, but they’ll also ensure that you get the maximum leg growth from this truly epic exercise.
Go hard guys!
Are you not achieving the results you want? Have always struggled with your nutrition? Training hard but still not losing that stubborn belly fat?
Do you want your personal nutrition and training blueprint to epic results? What about losing 5kg of fat in 28-days…guaranteed. Simply fill out the form below to register for our upcoming transformation challenge and lets get you those awesome results!