Why You Should Stop Dieting Now!

The Gorilla Pit - Training, Nutrition & Lifestyle > Why You Should Stop Dieting Now!
Why You Should Stop Dieting Now!

Almost everyone that has ever tried to lose weight has at some point been on at least one diet.. some of us have tried numerous different diets, calorie restriction, paleo, if it fits your macros etc.

The most common out there being calorie restriction..

The human body when placed on a diet becomes stressed, because when you consume fewer calories than what is required for your body to function normally the body then is forced beyond its comfort zone—the body-fat percentage (or weight) where your body feels most comfortable.

Please understand that this is the weight where your physical body—not you yourself—feels most comfortable.

Now in order to get back into that happy, comfort zone (also known as your “body-fat set point”), your body begins to send all kinds of crazy messages to your brain to tell you to stop dieting NOW. The two main messages it sends are “I’m tired” and “I’m hungry.”

Now the caloric deficit your diet has created, forces your body to conserve energy by reducing the number of calories it burns each day. Less calories burned means less energy, so, naturally, you’re going to be left feeling tired.

To make things even worse, your hunger hormones (leptin and ghrelin) go through a sudden change as your diet goes on. The more you consistently eat fewer calories than you burn, the more urgently your hunger hormones tell your brain that you’re really hungry.

Diet-Induced Adaptations

– Decreased resting metabolic rate

– Decreased thermic effect of food

– Decreased exercise and non-exercise activity thermogenesis

– Decreased thyroid hormone (T3) production

– Decreased leptin

– Increased ghrelin

Let’s dig down into how your body’s natural responses, how you react to them, can undermine your consistent efforts to lose weight.

The reason why calorie restriction diets are so common is because they do achieve short term goals.. your body is forced to tap into it’s excess energy stores of fat & protein because it’s simply not getting enough fuel. So not only do you lose some initial fat but you also deplete your muscle tissue.

The answer to better health and sustainable fat loss and muscle gain is macro nutrient counting & timing. Based off your Basel metabolic rate (how many calories you need to exist at rest)  This will help you to work towards a healthier, more energetic body.

You need to focus on setting you macro nutrient and calorie goal to align with your physique goals.. For fat loss a Stay patient, and be consistent: As you increase calories, you should start feeling more energetic, which will improve workout performance. It becomes a virtual cycle: The more calories (within reason) you take in, the more you’re able to exercise, which increases your metabolism and helps your body burn even more calories. Plus, once you’re taking in enough calories, your appetite hormones no longer need to send those hunger signals to your brain.

This is a what 3 different macro counting break downs look like

Example 1. Low Carb

BMR broken down into a 45:30:25 ratio of Protein, Fats & Carbs. The ratio being how much of your resting calories are made up from those macronutrients.

Example 2. Fat Loss

BMR broken down into a 40:30:30 ratio of Protein, Fats & Carbs. The ratio being how much of your resting calories are made up from those macronutrients.

Example 3. Lean Bulk

BMR broken down into a 40:25:35 ratio of Protein, Fats & Carbs. The ratio being how much of your resting calories are made up from those macronutrients.

So both your BMR and your personal health and fitness goals is what determines what your nutrition should be comprised of. Not some shredded gym guy/gal on Instagram selling “meal plans”. What you need is simply eat a majority of good, healthy, clean, whole foods for 80% of the time and the remaining time (20%) you should eat the foods you love! This is they key to ultimate health and fitness success. No a Diet!


No Comments available.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *