Following on from last weeks blog on estrogen dominance, today’s bog we are going to show you the 7 Best Ways To Help Lower Estrogen Levels to help rid yourself of your “man boobs” or “tuck shop lady arms”…. Excess body fat in either or both of these areas on the body correlates to estrogen dominance (estrogen levels being to high). In today’s blog we are going to run you guys through our top 7 tips to help your body detoxify and process that build up of estrogen and get you leaner quicker.
1) Salmon and Oily Fish
A rich source of Omega-3 fats, you hear about them all the time but might not understand exactly what they do. EPA and DHA omega-3s help the body eliminate oestrogen in a way that doesn’t damage DNA or cause cancer. The benefits also include reducing inflammation and improving insulin regulation. Being this awesome its no wonder why we should eat fish regularly in a balanced diet as well as supplementing with Pharmaceutical Grade Omega-3 fish oil.
2) Broccoli & other green cruciferous veggies
Continuing to find ways to metabolise oestrogen down safe healthy pathways in the body so as to not cause cellular DNA damage. Cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage and bok choy all act as oestrogen protectors due to them possessing the right compounds.
3) Decrease Body Fat
The more fat you have, the more estrogen you’ll have as greater fat tissue increases levels of the aromatisation enzyme that turns testosterone to estrogen. Decreasing body fat and building lean muscle mass is key to estrogen elimination & cancer prevention. Another way to protect the tissues from circulating estrogen is to keep it bound to the sex hormone binding globulin. When it is bound to SHBG, it is not able to bind with cellular receptors and won’t have its estrogenic impact. Flaxseed hulls are especially good at increasing SHBG (as well as inhibiting aromatase).
4) Block Aromatisation and Stop Testosterone From Turning into Estrogen
Blocking aromatisation is key for getting rid of estrogen because it plays the main role in producing estrogen in men. If aromatisation is present, there are two chances that estrogen will be produced in the body. Firstly, the hormone androstenedione will be turned into testosterone unless aromatisation is present in which case it will be turned into estrogen. Then, aromatisation will turn testosterone into estrogen as well. Nutrients that have a proven effect on aromatisation include zinc, green tea, and tomato skins
5) Watch What You Drink
Alcohol increases estrogen levels in both men and women, and it has been proven to decrease testosterone as well. For optimal estrogen metabolism, it is recommended that you eliminate all alcohol besides certain red wines. Sardinian and Spanish wines are rich in antioxidants that help remove estrogens. Other good choices are Pinot and Merlot.
6) Improve Diet that is Low Carb, High Protein
Getting your carbs from vegetable and fruit sources will provide the lignans and fiber needed for gut health and increase antioxidant levels, which can abolish certain nasties produced by estrogen.
A high protein diet will produce a better body composition for most people. Plus, low protein diets have been shown to decrease activity of something called cytochrome which metabolises estrogen. The amino acids lysine and threonine have been shown to support liver function and since estrogen is metabolized by the liver, it is thought that these proteins can actually help to get rid of estrogen from the body!
Lysine and threonine are found in meat, fish, beans, eggs, and some seeds (sesame, fenugreek). Sesame seeds also provide fibre and fenugreek helps lower the insulin response to carbs, making both good additions to your diet.
7) Limit Chemical Estrogen Exposure
Avoiding chemical estrogens is one of the most important tips for preventing cancer and protecting yourself. If you were able to have no contact with chemical estrogens, and you had good nutrition, a lean body composition, and a large proportion of muscle mass, it is very unlikely you’d have excess estrogen or be at risk of cancer.
However, chemical estrogens are everywhere. It is only recently that the mainstream medical community has started to seriously consider the connection between cancer and the environment the industry has created with the slack regulation of estrogen chemicals.
There is even a movement in public health advocacy that government regulatory bodies and chemical companies need to take action to reduce environmental toxins. Although there is an awareness that the responsibility of reducing cancer shouldn’t be on the individual because we cannot completely avoid contact with chemical estrogens, the reality is that you have to take responsibility for eliminating estrogen from your body and the bodies of your loved ones.
Here is a list of ten simple things you can do today to reduce your chemical estrogen exposure.
- Eat organic and avoid ingesting estrogenic pesticides and growth hormones
- Use natural cleaning products. Chemical cleaners contain toxins and estrogen mimicking compounds. Opt for plant based cleaners. Don’t trust the “green” label check the ingredients.
- Use natural personal care products such as shampoo and conditioner. These are the same as cleaning products—don’t trust it just because it says “natural” on the label. Look for DBP, DEP, DEHP, BzBP, and DMP in the ingredients; all are chemical estrogens.
- Avoid air fresheners and scented candles. Some may contain essential oils and are safe, but beware of the word “fragrance” because it may refer to hormone altering chemicals.
- Avoid plastic containers for food and water. Use glass and get a stainless steel water bottle. Plastic contains BPA, which mimics estrogen.
- DO NOT EVER microwave or heat plastic. Under high temperatures is when BPA is most easily transferred from plastic to food. EVEN if the plastic is “BPA Free). Use glass containers.
- Don’t take receipts unless absolutely necessary. Almost half of paper receipts contain BPA and there’s evidence that cashiers have very high BPA levels. Say “no thanks all good” to receipts.
- Use cloth bags when shopping. If you forget your cloth bags, opt for paper if you can.
- Take Cumin to help prevent cancer from chemical estrogens. This antioxidant is found in the spice turmeric and research has shown it can reduce chemical estrogen induced growth of cancer cells.
- Take Limonene to increase the enzymes needed in the liver that detoxify estrogen. It is the antioxidant that is found in the oil of citrus fruits and tomatoes. If you get an estrogen detox supplement, it will likely contain limonene.
So there you have it guys our top 7 tips to help you metabolise estrogen and rid yourselves of increased cancer risk and of course excess body fat! The main point to remember is estrogen is one particular hormone that can have and extremely harmful effect on the body if not correctly regulated. Oestrogen is everywhere in modern day life and our lifestyles seem to add more stress to our bodies which interferes with our hormonal balance. To tip the scales back into our favour adopt these tips as well as following a specific training program will help you feel and look a lot better as well as lower your cancer risk and decrease body fat.
Have a great day guys!
Are you not achieving the results you want? Have always struggled with your nutrition? Training hard but still not losing that stubborn belly fat?
Do you want your personal nutrition and training blueprint to epic results? What about losing 5kg of fat in 28-days…guaranteed. Simply fill out the form below to register for our upcoming transformation challenge and lets get you those awesome results!